Update on Life, Bumming Around at Home

I’ve been off work for two weeks now, but I’ve managed to keep more or less of a routine at least so far… No sleeping in until noon yet! I’ve actually enjoyed getting up right around when Dave gets into the shower and cooking up some bacon and eggs for the two of us.

Sunny side up

It’s not an every day thing, but it’s often enough that I’ll take credit for effort. πŸ™‚ I’ve even been slicing up whatever fruit we have lying around as a side dish. Of course this time of year that means mostly citrus, but it certainly looks fancy!


After that my day gets pretty random. I generally spend a good chunk of the morning browsing the web. My preferred spot is at the end of the couch, right by the big window:

Laptop location

It’s a north-facing window, but the whole living/dining area gets a ton of ambient light so I normally don’t even bother turning on the indoor lights during the day. This means I can spend a big chunk of the day inadvertently spying on our neighbors. Julie says I make a pretty good “creeper” since I already have most of their routines more or less figured out. We also have quite a few neighborhood cats that seem to have pretty consistent movement patterns as well.

Julie’s work normally starts at 2pm, so she wakes up a few hours beforehand and we hang out for a bit. If I have any errands I want to run I’ll generally time them so that I can drop Julie off at work and then get the errands taken care of. But sometimes I don’t feel like going out so I just make Julie bike to work, because I’m a big meanie. πŸ™‚

The rest of each day has been pretty much up in the air. Last week we had lovely weather so I spent a lot of the week weeding and aerating the lawn. I also spent a lot of the week goofing off. This is what I really love about not working during my last month of pregnancy: I can really take the time to listen to my body. When I’m feeling energetic I get some chores done or take Loki for a walk. When I’m feeling tired (which is sometimes five minutes after I start in on a chore) I just lie down and read or take a nap or whatever.

There’s no way I can write about bumming around the house without mentioning my furry compatriots… Loki definitely prefers to keep me nearby while I’m in the house, but he hasn’t been following me from room to room, thank goodness. Mostly he just chills on the couch waiting to see if I’ll take him for a walk:


I shift around a lot so generally none of the animals really try for my lap when I sit down, but Loki often will at least attempt to curl up next to me. This is only bad when I’m lying on my side and he goes to curl up against my belly. Any pressure at all there feels unpleasant so I have to push him away. When I’m at the computer he curls up against my back.

Loki sleeping

The cats spend most of the day doing what cats do best: sleeping. They mostly hang out in the extra room since that gets the best morning sun, and it’s the room that the rest of us go into the least. Here are the boys in their preferred spot on top of the cat tree:

Boy cats

And here’s Callie giving me her best “What are YOU looking at?” face.


All in all, staying at home has been pretty nice. Sometimes I get bored by myself, but Dave has been very good about responding to texts even if I’m probably just distracting him with silly conversation for no reason. I know everything will change once there’s a baby in the picture, but for now at least I’m enjoying this brief period of calm before the storm.


Posted on March 4, 2013, in life and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: