The Front Yard
There was already an in-ground sprinkler system when we moved in, and we were able to figure out how to run it without too much trouble. How much to water, though, has taken a while to figure out. By mid-summer, our front yard had a pretty even dead-yellow look to it. So we upped the watering time, and a few weeks later it was looking like this:
As best as I can tell, the sprinklers layout doesn’t provide enough coverage. I’ve looked and looked, but there are only sprinkler heads on the right-hand edge of the yard, and there doesn’t seem to be a single sprinkler head on the walkway and driveway side pointing back towards the right. The grass that’s right next to the walkway gets enough water from the runoff of the sprinkler system on the other side of the walkway that covers the flower beds. But the rest of the grass that’s closer to the left side much stays untouched. That one horizontal swath of yellow in the middle of the yard was due to some dirt blocking part of the sprinkler head, causing it to shoot water to either side but not shoot any directly forward. I’ve just fixed that, so hopefully we’ll at least have a more even gradient from green to yellow.
We’re expecting some rain this week, so hopefully soon our yard will once again be lush and green and i can put off fixing our sprinkler layout until next summer. 🙂